Sunday 2 August 2015

Satiating Makeup Cravings

I got rid of a lot of makeup this past week that had just been sitting around unloved. Some ended up in my blog sale, but most just got tossed out because it was so old or simply wasn't worth the hassle of selling. Considering how much it pained me to see so much money and product go to waste as a result of my overbuying and hoarding of makeup, I was surprised when I found myself, just days later, lusting after even more products.

That's one of the pitfalls of beauty blogging. You're constantly surrounded by videos and posts about new collections, formulations and shades that updating an ongoing beauty wishlist becomes second nature. When I sit back and actually think about it, I realize it's not normal or healthy. I know I have more makeup than I'll ever need or be able to use up, and yet, I always want more. Luckily, I've found something that's been helping to satiate my constant makeup cravings, even if just temporarily.

When I find myself lusting after a particular product, I first try to think of a product I already own that is similar, whether it's the shade, formulation, etc. Then, I force myself to put that product into my daily rotation (often times, I realize it's a product I either had forgotten I owned or hadn't used in a while). If, after using my own, similar product for a while, I find that I still want the new one I originally put on my wishlist, then I'll go back and reconsider. But, so far, I've found that shopping my own stash and using similar products I already own has been doing a great job of curbing some of my excessive beauty cravings.

Wishlist Item #1 :: Too Faced Born This Way Foundation
Similar Item :: several foundations in my collection
I've been hearing so many good things about the new Too Faced foundation, and it's difficult not to be pulled in by reviews raving about how seamless it looks on the skin. However, I had to remind myself that I already own quite a few foundations that I love, including Physicians Formula Nude Wear Touch of Glow Foundation, By Terry Cover Expert and Armani Luminous Silk. It's not that these are necessarily dupes for the Too Faced foundation, but using and appreciating them have made me realize I have no need for another foundation in my collection right now.

Wishlist Item #2 :: Stila Got Inked Cushion Eye Liner in Copper Ink
Similar Item :: L'Oreal Infallible Lacquer Liner in Bronze
For this one, it wasn't necessarily the interesting cushion concept of the Stila liner that I was after, but rather the gorgeous, shimmering copper shade. I envisioned creating the most beautiful winged liner with it. Luckily, I found a similar type of eyeliner shade in my stash, albeit not quite as dazzling or eye-catching, and in gel form, which is fine.

Wishlist Item #3 :: Stila Aqua Glow Watercolor Blush
Similar Item :: Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee in Poppy Paradise
I've swatched the new Stila blushes a few times in-store, and to be honest, they seemed a bit too sheer for my taste, but I think it was all the raves online that made me continue to lust after one. I rediscovered my Josie Maran blush, which has a different consistency in the pot but a similar sheer, watercolor effect on the skin, and I decided I'm content showing it some love for now, instead of adding another one to my stash.

Wishlist Item #4 :: Marc Jacobs Enamored Hi-Shine Lip Lacquer in Pretty Thing
Similar Item :: MAC Cremesheen Glass in Boy Bait
Marc Jacobs Pretty Thing almost became one of those spur-of-the-moment purchases when I was in Sephora a few weeks ago. I just felt like buying something, and Pretty Thing looked like a really pretty pinky-nude gloss. I was able to talk myself out of it at the last minute (I wish I'd do that more often), reminding myself I have other nude glosses in my collection already, including MAC Boy Bait. Seeing as how I'm coming to the end of my tube, I may be able to justify a nude gloss purchase once I'm out, but only once I'm out.

L to R: L'Oreal Bronze, Josie Maran Poppy Paradise and MAC Boy Bait

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management