Tuesday 24 February 2015

Yes, I say invest in a good haircut!

In my recent post about deciding to stop looking like trash, I mentioned that one of the things I do is invest in a good haircut. Economists may argue that you can't really consider a haircut an investment since well... it's hair and it grows back no matter where you get it cut. But I beg to differ. When you spend your entire life with thick, unruly, and nearly impossible to manage hair like mine, you realize that you can't just have your hair cut by anyone. It takes a certain kind of stylist to be able to work with what you have.

Japanese magnetic hair straightening at Shuji Kida Hair Salon When I was younger my hair was a lot worse (picture above was taken in 2009 and yes that was the first time I had my hair straightened at Shuji Kida Hair Salon), it's actually a more mellow version of itself now that I'm 40. If you think my 2009 photo is bad, my high school photos are a whole lot worse where my hair is concerned. Whenever I would step into a salon, practically everyone from the shampoo girl to the stylist himself would tell me to get a treatment, get it relaxed, get it straightened (later on get it rebonded)... it was never as simple as get a haircut in my case. Never. And I would actually end up relaxing, straightening, rebonding, treating... or doing whatever it is the stylist and salon staff would recommend. I spent so much on my hair. One rebonding session alone would cost around P6+k back then and I would have to redo it after 4-6 months depending on how long I could tolerate the yucky curled roots. Then there were the treatments. Rebonded hair tends to be really dry so you need to give it a lot of TLC via treatments. Those cost around P1+k too.











Haircut by Shigeki at Shuji Kida Hair Salon
Haircut by Shigeki of Shuji Kida Hair Salon circa 2014

Although I'm often trying out different salons, my personal salon of choice when it comes to haircuts is Shuji Kida Hair Salon. I've been going there for years... since 2008 to be exact, even before I started my blog. Shuji Kida was the first salon to properly straighten my hair when I was still into the straight look. It's also at Shuji Kida that I got my first haircut from a Japanese stylist.









Haircut by Shigeki at Shuji Kida Hair Salon
Haircut by Shigeki of Shuji Kida Hair Salon when grown out (left)

Haircut by Shigeki of Shuji Kida Hair Salon circa 2015 (right)

I usually have Shigeki, Shuji Kida Hair Salon's resident Japanese stylist, cut my hair. He knows my hair best as he has seen it at its worst. Even if I'm not rebonding anymore my hair is still very dry and damaged because I color it a lot. Last week I had it cut by Shigeki and when he asked me how much he can cut I told him any length is fine. I trust Shigeki to do what's best and I only had this to say: I just want something easy to style and manage. He knows I don't want to go back to rebonding my hair. Read more »

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management