Tuesday 9 September 2014

Spin Class: Know Before you Go!

la-1519401-he-hotyoga-2-lkh-jpg-20130912


I am not a gym rat by any means – In fact, I will do almost anything to avoid going to the gym. But when me and my fiancé joined a new gym – the best part was the insane numbers of classes offered to us. One of which we were really looking forward to was the: Spin Class.


What it is: High intensity bike peddling on a stationary bike with added resistance. The bike stays in place and all you do is peddle with all your being. Sounds pretty simple, huh? Well, one can expect to lose up to 900 calories in an hour long spin class!


What to expect: Dim lighting, Loud music, lots of sweat, screaming/motivating instructor and feeling like your legs are about to fall off.


What to wear: I highly recommend wearing shorts or capris so you can avoid hurting yourself on the bike + a tank top/sports bra will do the trick. I have seen some people wear shorts and a sweatshirt (to sweat more) but I could not do that! Tight and less fabric is key. In terms of footwear? I just wear my regular sneakers.


What to bring: Small Towel to wipe off the nasty sweat (and oh will you SWEAT!) and a bottle of water. Staying hydrated is very important as you are likely to get light headed or feel nauseous with the sweat, heat and the overwhelming peddling!


My Thoughts: I tried my first spin class about a year and half ago and completely hated it. The music was terrible, the instructor was just “eh” and I just lacked a lot of motivation. But since I started going back – it has been so amazing. I love going to spin class now (yes, despite the fact that I come out feeling like my legs are made out of jelly!). I always leave feeling like I did something great for my body. It is very intense workout – yes, but I have learned not to compare myself to the other people in the class and go at my pace. It took me a while to understand that just because the trainer is cranking up the resistance to an unbearable level (for me) – does not mean I have to also. I have also learned it is very important to find an instructor with your taste of music and motivation so the class can feel like fun and not boring workout. If you are intimated about going to the class – just remember: the lights are dim, people are working their butts off and no one really cares about how you are doing. Don’t let the fear of the unknown you stop you from a great work out experience! I promise, each class gets easier! If I can do it – SO CAN YOU!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management